St. Brigid Pastoral Council Meetings
February 25, 2016
Present: Father Michael, Barb DeFazio, Marie DiQuattro, Sue Andrade, Dave Panek, Joe VanDenBosch, Jim Mech, Mary K. Casey Absent: Steve Oliver, Jennifer Holbrook. Father Michael opened the meeting with a prayer.
The written copy of the minutes was not available so Mary K. Casey gave a brief summary of last month's meeting.
I. Parish website. Father inquired if anyonehad the time or opportunity to look at the Parish website. Dave Panek had significant input regarding that.
2. Father Michael reported that the Lenten Penance Service will be held March 16 at 7:00p.m, at St. Brigid's Parish.
3. There has been some interest from a few parishioners about becoming a Eucharistic Minister. Joe will get the information about upcoming training sessions to those who have expressed interest.
4. "Welcome"pamphlet. Council members who had been assigned a ministry gave Father Michael their written reports on the ministry.
I. Father asked if members of the Parish council would be willing to speak at Mass after the weekend Masses to encourage parishioners to attend the upcoming Mission to be held at Our Lady of Mercy on March 8,9,10. MarieDiQuattro and Sue Andrade volunteered to do that.
2. There will be Eucharistic adoration on Sunday, February 29. Council members were asked to come early to set upfor coffee and goodies after the adoration.
3. There will not be Eucharistic adorationon Sunday, March 28 because of Easter Sunday celebrations. .
4. The next Sunday adoration will be after 9:00 a.m, Masson April 24.
5. Barb DeFazio gave to Father Michael "Way of the Light Stations" and asked if they could be held at St. Brigid's sometime after Easter. Father suggested Friday, April 30.
There being no further business theCouncil adjourned to Church fo rprayer and reflection held at the Rectory.
Next meeting: Wednesday, Apri l 14 at 7:00p.m.
November 19, 2015 Meeting
Attendees: Father Michael, Barb DeFazio, Mary Kay Casey, Joe VanDenBosch, Jim Mech, Jennifer Holbrook. Absent: Dave Panek, Sue Andrade, Marie DiQuattro.
Father Michael opened the meeting with and gave everyone a few minutes to read last month’s meeting minutes. Minutes were approved.
- Trunk or Treat:
- Unfortunately there are not enough students in the Parish to support doing this at the Parish Hall. Jennifer made the suggestion that it be moved to somewhere on Main Street. Mary Kay thought it would work better on a different date than Halloween.
- Suggestion was to work in conjunction with Faith Formation at OLM for next year.
- Question was asked as to what else could be done for the children in St. Brigid’s Parish. Jennifer suggested sending each a Christmas card. She will look online at current.com and advise Jackie what she would like to order. Jackie will also give Jennifer a list of the names and addresses of the St. Brigid children enrolled in Faith Formation.
- Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament after Mass and Coffee Hour: Father Michael asked if they felt anything should be changed? Was the music ok? Everyone felt it was going great and they will still have coffee hour afterward but no discussions during it.
- Advent Penance Service: Father Justin has drawn up the ritual which includes an Examination of Conscience before individual confession. A lector is required and Mary Kay offered to do same.
- Festival of Praise at OLM: Father Michael once again invited everyone to attend.
- Legion of Mary: this was tabled until the January meeting.
- Recruiting of new Eucharistic Ministers: St. Brigid is in need of more Eucharistic Ministers. Father Michael will place this in the bulletin and also ask if the OLM Ministers would be willing to help out at St. Brigid. Joe said there is a need for 10-12 more.
- New Parishioner pamphlet from St. Christopher’s in North Chili: At the last meeting, Marie shared a pamphlet she received from St. Christopher’s with information on the church, Mass times, etc. The Council will work on a pamphlet for St. Brigid’s during the January meeting.
- OLM has been designated by the Bishop as a pilgrimage site for the Jubilee Year of Mercy. The door to the cathedral in Buffalo will be blessed as a Jubilee Door with 5 other sites in the Diocese selected to have Jubilee Doors also.
- OLM’s front door will be blessed at the 10:30 Mass on Sunday, December 13th.
- On Mercy Day, Friday, March 4, 2016, all the sites will be open from noon till noon the next day, Saturday, March 5. Eucharistic Adoration will be available during this time.
- Lenten Mission:
- Father Michael has booked a Mission with Father Mark Yavarone of the Oblates of the Blessed Virgin Mary located in Boston.
- Father Yavarone will speak at all the OLM Masses the week of March 5th/6th with the Mission talks on Monday (3/7), Tuesday (3/8) and Wednesday (3/9). He will also give the talks after the 8:00 daily Mass on those days for people who can’t make the nightly ones. He will provide us with an entire program, how to advertise this, committees required, etc. after Christmas.
- We will have Eucharistic Adoration all three days.
- There will be no weekend Masses at St. Brigid so that everyone can hear Father Yavarone’s talks.
- Bergen Christmas Tree Lighting:
- Share a Yarn is busy making ornaments for the tree. These need to be at the Church by 11/29.
- Donna Gerrard will do the decorating during the week of 11/30 with Jim Mech handling the lights.
- Grace Gallavin said that the adults appreciated all the work that went into the Trunk or Treat but felt it should be done earlier in the month.
- Christmas Cards for Faith Formation Children – Jennifer and Jackie to handle.
- Coffee Hours: Jennifer, Jim and Joe will take care of the one on 11/29. Mary Kay will handle 12/27.
- Bulletin Announcement on Eucharistic Ministers – Father Michael
Next Meeting: Thursday, January 28, 2015 @ 7:00 pm. There will not be a meeting in December.
October 22, 2015 Meeting
Attendees: Father Michael, Barb DeFazio, Mary Kay Casey, Joe VanDenBosch, Sue Andrade, Jim Mech, Marie DiQuattro. Absent: Dave Panek, Jennifer Holbrook, Steve Oliver.
Father Michael opened the meeting with and gave everyone a few minutes to read last month’s meeting minutes. One change to the minutes: Next Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament after Mass will be Sunday, October 25th; not the 24th as stated. Also the minutes will be available on the Parish website.
- 15 minute Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament after Mass and Coffee Hour:
- Everyone felt that it went very well and they had a much larger crowd than expected (approximately 65 people stayed for the Exposition and approximately 40 people then stayed for coffee). Some Parishioners expressed that they felt the 15 minutes was too short.
- Decided to keep this as is for now without adding group discussion – will add this later on.
- Will again have coffee/tea/cider/donuts this Sunday with some Council members also bringing baked goods.
- Next dates for Exposition will be November 29th and December 27th.
- Trunk or Treat on Saturday, October 31st after Mass: not a lot of response, but hopefully it will build year-to-year. Have a few Parishioners who will participate in parking lot and some who have donated towards the candy. Barb, Joe and Jim will take care of donut holes and cider in the Parish Hall.
- Advent Penance Service: OLM is having a Festival of Praise on December 3 at 7:00 pm. It was decided to have the Penance Service at St. Brigid’s on December 10 at 7:00 pm. This will be advertised in the bulletin as open to both Parishes and announcements will also be made prior to the weekend Masses.
- Legion of Mary: Father Michael spoke with a priest in Cleveland who said they were using this for evangelization in his parish both as a spiritual group and as an active way to grow the parish. This group is required to do apostolic work on behalf of their Parish by going door to door or otherwise connecting with parishioners. OLM has someone who is looking into whether the Diocese has someone who can help with this endeavor. This would be a shared group between both Parishes.
- Marie DiQuattro recently moved to Chili and passed around a pamphlet she received from the local Church (St. Christopher’s). She thought this might be something we could send to new Parishioners or ones we haven’t seen in a while. A copy of this pamphlet is included with these minutes.
- Father Michael advised that he had his Staff print out a listing of everyone’s birthdays and that he plans on making a phone call to everyone on/near their birthday.
- Recruiting new Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist: Father Michael asked if there was a need to recruit new Ministers. Anyone who is interested should contact Father and he will have the Office check to see when/where the next class will be held.
- Sue advised that she heard on the radio about a program called “Catholic Grandparents”. With today’s fragmented families, grandparents are the ones handing down the faith and traditions of the Church. She will look into this for a future meeting.
- Barb had a call from Anna Marie Barclay advising that the Village of Bergen was having a tree lighting on December 4th and that they were looking for groups to adopt a tree. The Village would put up tree, but lights and decorations would be the responsibility of whoever adopts it. Barb will give the Office a paragraph to put in the bulleting to get this started.
- Linda Camelio wanted Father Michael to know that our new priests – Father James and Father Justin are great blessings to the community and she has enjoyed getting to know them.
Next Meeting: Thursday, November 19, 2015 @ 7:00 pm. There will not be a meeting in December.
September 24, 2015 Meeting
Attendees: Father Michael, Barb DeFazio, Mary Kay Casey, Joe VanDenBosch, Sue Andrade, Jim Mech, Dave Panek, Jennifer Holbrook. Absent: Marie DiQuattro, Steve Oliver.
Last month’s minutes were read as members arrived.
Father Michael opened the meeting with the Prayer to the Holy Spirit (Veni, Creator Spiritus). This prayer was used at every session of the 2nd Vatican Council.
- 15 minute Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament after Mass:
- September 27 –will have Exposition followed by a coffee hour.
- October 24 – will have Exposition followed by a coffee hour and a small group discussion. Need ideas for small group discussions.
- Eucharistic Adoration
- Soft music
- Where should we have discussion – St. Joseph room? Parish Center?
- Coffee Hour Helpers – Mary Kay and Jennifer
- Father Justin to say Mass – Joe (cider), Sue (baked goods)
- What is the purpose of Adoration? To have a heart-to-heart talk with Christ who is present to us.
- Mass on September 27th – Marian Peck’s daughter sang and played the harp in honor of Marian’s 90th birthday.
- Rosary/Chaplet/Adoration from 7:00 – 8:00 pm at St. Brigid every Wednesday.
- Vigil Mass for All Saints Day (October 31st) will have “Trunk or Treat” for the children. Participants open their car trunks in the parking lot and pass out candy. Mary Kay will talk to Denise Spadaccia about youth help and communicating this to the Faith Formation classes. May need at least 10 cars – need to recruit people to have candy in their car. Barb will put up a signup sheet. Jennifer will make flyers. Possible items to hand out besides candy: glow sticks, rosaries, cider, donuts. Need hay bales.
- Combined SB/OLM Men’s Prayer Group – no discussion.
- Combined Parish Festival of Praise (FOP) and Witness Talk during Advent – a period of Exposition and then a sharing of faith. Dave shared that a parishioner is reading a book “On the Brink” and talked about a Mass of Reparation the 3rd Monday each month across the country. Dave handed the information sheets to Father Michael.
- Movie night for youth – tabled until January.
- Library at Parish Center (LeRoy): previously discussed whether one of our young parishioners would be willing to help categorize/computerize the library items for community service hours so both Parishes knew what was available. Father Justin has started to catalog this library. Dave is working on a bookshelf for items at St. Brigid.
- Advent Penance Service – Father Justin is asking to have a Penance Service at St. Brigid. Father Michael will look at the calendar and advise a date towards the end of Advent.
- February 1st is the Feast of St. Brigid – discussion on Mass and a pot luck dinner (this is a Monday evening).
- Are minutes being published and posted at the back of the church? Not yet, but they will be from now on.
- Grace Gallivan raised concerns about coffee hours.
- Norm Pawlak informed us that the Men’s Golf Tournament is on September 27th at 11:00 am so the participants at Adoration could be lower this first month. Also asked if there would be a Mass at the cemetery on All Souls Day; (Father Michael advised that there would be a Prayer Service as in the past – not a Mass).
Points of Action:
- Coffee Hour this Sunday – Jennifer, Sue, Mary Kay and Joe
- Trunk or Treat: cider, donuts, kids items (glow sticks, etc.), recruit cars (Barb), Posters (Jennifer), bulletin announcement (Father Michael), decorations, photo area, youth helpers.
- Library – Father Justin, Dave
Next Meeting: Thursday, October 22, 2015 @ 7:00 pm.
Father Michael closed the meeting with the Our Father
Submitted by Jennifer Holbrook
August 27, 2015
Attendees: Father Michael, Barb DeFazio, Mary Kay Casey, Joe VanDenBosch, Sue Andrade, Jim Mech, Dave Panek, Jennifer Holbrook, Steve Oliver. Absent: Marie DiQuattro
After Father Michael led everyone in prayer, he discussed that everyone had their personal reasons for applying to be on the Council, but that we need to stay connected to the guidance of the Spirit so that we do not do what we think we should do, but what the Spirit guides us to do.
Denise Spadaccia, Youth Minister, discussed with the group her attendance at the Catholic Youth Ministers Conference. Our young people are not our “future” Church, but are our “present” young Church. The millennials (1982-2004) have different needs than other age groups. Surveys show that they are leaving the Church for various reasons – not relevant to them, falling away from practicing their faith. What’s keeping them is developing relations with other members (not necessarily their own age), opportunities to serve (they want to make a difference), or they have had an authentic encounter with Christ in their parish. They want to feel welcome – ask them to be greeters, lectors, etc.
Some of Denise’s goals are: building on the Core Teams for Faith Formation – more teachers, parents providing snacks, prayer. Parent/Family Ministry – especially the parents of teens. Some ideas were inter-generational catechesis, using the Knights of Columbus to show men being involved with their faith, having parishioners spiritually adopt a teen.
Denise also advised that a counselor from the Diocese was coming to the Parish next week to discuss transgender issues and how they should be handled.
Father Michael then reviewed the feedback items from the group.
Points of Action:
- OLM is working on a Festival of Praise (like Steubenville) - Adoration with personal witness – hold during Advent. Music, lay speakers. Need to link up with St. Brigid.
- Father Michael is planning on having a night during the week for confession and exposition at the Oratory.
- Group was interested in the fact that there is a library at the Parish Center in LeRoy. Books, CDs, DVDs are available but there is no listing. Suggestion was made that maybe some of our youth could put together a listing during vacations. This suggestion will be put in the bulletin.
- Small group sharing with coffee hours – will start with Sunday adoration and a coffee hour on September 27 (sponsored by the Pastoral Council). Next month (October 25) will add a small group discussion on the meaning/benefits of adoration. Someone needs to facilitate small group discussion.
- Vigil Mass for All Saints Day – allow children to come in costume if they wish and have parishioners in parking lot with treats for the children. Maybe have coffee, cider and donuts in the Parish Hall.
- Movie Night for Youth – Jim Mech and Joe VanDenBosch used to host this with animated Bible stories and popcorn. Worth trying again.
- Men’s Prayer Group – OLM has such a group; merge with them and switch meeting between both Parish Halls.
Next Meeting: Wednesday, September 24, 2015 @ 7:00 pm